5.17.2009

project 1: keys


I have a collection of 55 piano keys veneers of all shapes and sizes, each one unique and beautiful. For about a year now, I have been experimenting with different ways to incorporate these into jewelry pieces. I an interested in using found objects to begin exploring jewelry design. Not only is it inexpensive, but personally I find it easier to approach a design problem that has at least one limiting factor - or what boyfriend would call a "rule"... rules to follow and rules to break. In architecture, one typically does not just design by flailing around throwing out a bunch of random ideas. There are limitations set by clients, codes, materials, physics...

This will be an ongoing project through the summer, so I will be referring back to it frequently. Perhaps it will include guitar strings...?

No comments:

Post a Comment